Friday, February 22, 2013

Fans a language of Romance




Fans in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, being particularly important during the Georgian and Victorian eras. It was an important part in a lady's wardrobe.

The use of the fan could hide a lady's blushes, enhance the beauty of her eyes, focus attention on her perfectly manicured hands and even aid in her flirtations.
Using their fans was, apparently, a hard art to master, and young girls of the period would spend long hours in practise, often taught by their dance teachers and the books of instruction for young ladies and gentlemen common at this period.

The famous and prestigious French fan maker Maison Duvelleroy, had a printed book of  instructions.

Here's a few

Carrying in right hand in front of face:



    FOLLOW ME

Carrying in left hand in front of face: 

 

 DESIROUS OF ACQUAINTANCE

Placing it on left ear:

 I WISH TO GET RID OF YOU

Drawing across the forehead: you have changed

 

swirling in left hand:

 

 

 

 

 

 

We ARE WATCHED


Carrying in right hand:

  YOU ARE TOO WILLING

Drawing through the hand:

I HATE YOU

Twirling in right hand:

I LOVE ANOTHER

Drawing across the cheek:

 I LOVE YOU


Presented shut:

 DO YOU LOVE ME?


Presenting a number of sticks,

 fan part opened: AT WHAT HOUR?

Touching the unfolded fan whilewaving:

I LONG TO BE NEAR YOU

Threaten with the shut fan:

DO NOT BE SO IMPRUDENT

Gazing pensively at the shut fan:

why DO YOU MISUNDERSTAND ME?

Pressing the half opened fan to the lips:

YOU MAY KISS ME


Clasping the hands under the open fan:

  

 

 

 

 

 

 FORGIVE ME I PRAY YOU

Cover the left ear with the open fan:

DO NOT BETRAY OUR SECRET


Shut the fully opened fan very slowly: 

I PROMISE TO MARRY you

The painted fans from Italy prized in the late
17th and early 18th Centuries were not only
practical and decorative. ``If conversation lagged,
you could always talk about the image on the fan,`
 Fan painters took their themes from paintings and frescoes,
and such classical topics as the Rape of the Sabines and
Diana and Endymion provided plenty of food for talk.

Posted by Yvonne @ La Petite Gallery
Comments are welcome

2 comments:

Francine Gardner said...

I love them! I actually have a collection of antique fans displayed in my powder room!
Happy week end.

Barbara said...

All pretty. You have reminded me that I have some fans tucked away that I never remember to get out when it is hot.